Saturday, March 24, 2007

Recovery For Dummies


Hasn’t this whole “personal” blog thing really worked out well? I keep it up as well as can be expected, I suppose, me being a professional procrastinator and all…

But I thought I would do a little bit of typing before I leave for the movie, since I don’t need to prep… I have already seen this (we are seeing 300 again) and I have a little time.

Last night at my meeting, I was given my “90 Day” medallion. No it did not look like the medallion jpeg I put up- I just put that up cuz I thought it was cool. I swear, all of this shit makes me ill sometimes, it is so completely not something I would have ever seen myself doing… going through the whole 12 Steps crap, but surprisingly, I have discovered what about a billion other people have already discovered- namely, that it seems to work, when applied.

So I am faithful going to my meetings on Fridays and my step-study group on the weekend, and I am trying to be sincere and not roll my eyes when someone starts talking about something that might seem lame to the rest of the world but has deep, real meaning to that person. The recovery group that I attend is not just for pill popping princesses like myself, but for anyone who has any kind of addiction, including, oh, like food.

I admit when I first started going, I had this huge swell of sarcasm building up in me at the very thought…. And I had to keep my mouth shut tightly to avoid it breaking out and hurting someone. However… I have changed my mind. Without naming names, or even telling stories, I will say that there are women in this group whose eating is as totally out of control, if not as life-threatening, as my drug use was.

So am I becoming more mellow? Am I starting to be nice? Maybe just a little sympathetic? Probably none of the above, it is all debatable in any case, and I am not in a philosophical mood today.

Oh wait, maybe there is a little trickle of philosophy running through my left eye…

I do know that my perception of the world has shifted since I quit using drugs, and perhaps that is just natural… it’s like seeing out the window that has had rain rolling down it for years and years, and going, Oh my God, is THAT what the front yard really looks like?

Last night, driving home, I realized that something is missing in me that has been so long a constant companion that it’s actually odd I haven’t noticed its absence until now… that thing is self pity, and the accompanying all-around Wretchedness… I have worn wrapped around me like a cloak. Me, the mysterious pity vampire, wrapped in my shroud of wretchedness, sucking up any pity that I come in contact with and turning it to suit me… I recognized that was indeed what I was like, but I thought it was how I “just was”…nothing could be done to change it, divert it… I looked at myself fairly clearly, with a large dose of honesty. I saw the disgustingness of who I was, the characteristics that were shaming and that I had to laugh at, because deep down, I was always wondering how in the HELL I turned out like this… but I never thought any of it would change. Certainly not by getting clean. I thought drugs were just a helpful way to deal with the awfulness of myself. I never thought that the awfulness might start to change if I got off the drugs. I was, quite simple, a horrible, self-pitying, emotional wreck of a person. Period. Forever and ever. Til death do I part from it.

And now, I am thinking. Maybe that is not true. It is certainly startling to think of… and of course leads to other thoughts… if this is not true, maybe there are other things I have always accepted as “Fact” that are not true either.

I just beg, no, I plead…. If I start to talking about “recognizing my own needs” and telling people that they are affecting my feelings of self-worth, punch me in the face. Twice. REALLY HARD. That is the only thing that still brings forth the eye-rolling and clamped lips at these meetings… listening to the people who seemingly have replaced drugs as the reason for all their problems with other people now…

“He said “blah” and I needed to tell him how much that hurt me.”

“She did “blah” and I really felt compelled to tell her that it offended me and hurt my feelings of self-worth.”

“And I told him, I really feel that when you said that, you were crossing one of my personal boundaries.”

Puke. But whatever- now I am being as bad as them, focusing on everyone else but myself. I will just say it once more- if my self-pity turns into self-righteousness, hit me hard and fast and don’t let me get up until I laugh at myself.

I don't know... but it is a lot to think about. It’s a crazy fucking world, people, but I might just be able to find my way through it anyway.

Re-reading that last line made my eyes roll hard, so now I have a headache and I need to go take some drugs… just kidding… and I really am. Kidding. Ninety days. Uh-mazing.

3 comments:

Bitty said...

Ok. Now I'm crying.

I can't remember if I told you this, but my daughter is a recovered (recovering...choose your adjective) addict. Among other things, she liked cocaine just a little too much. It's been almost 10 years. My ex-husband kicked booze in 1982. But other family members (grandfather, stepfather) have not been so lucky.

One thing that helps the rest of us (those who hang out with addicts) is Al-Anon and like groups. You wanna see self pity? Talk to the loved one of an addict. Just today I was thinking as I was driving home from errands that as a result of what I learned about myself through those Al-Anon meetings over 20 years ago, I gave up self-pity as a way of life, and how different my life is now than it once was. (I reserve SP for special occasions, but I don't seem to have had one in a long, long, long time.)

At least one person out here is very proud of and excited for you.

Uh-mazing.

eddyquette said...

Yay for Kaat! 90 days rocks. I didn't do the steps or the programme, but I remember my own long-term achievements pretty well getting over my addiction...

Yeah, it does free up stuff that's been kinda hiding underneath all the mess, doesn't it? I found out I had the guts to step up and be a leader and all that - me, who always thought I was born a spineless, craven wimp. So, hang in there and don't worry too much about the self-righteous thing. Life will usually smack you in the face pretty hard if you become a schmock without any help from us bloggers... ;-)

Be safe,
eddyquette

sock monkey said...

IMO, there's a difference between being self-righteous and having boundaries/attending to your own needs.

Way back, it was explained to me that being selfish (to a certain extent) is not a bad thing. At the other end of the spectrum lies selfless - which was me - being a doormat, a peacemaker, sacrificial, whatever.

Finding a healthy comfort zone is the challenge, and I always have to practice. I still feel guity when I say no, even if its an appropriate response.

Congrats on the 90 days!